Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Tough topics in Because of Winn-Dixie
This story deals with some difficult topics...India Opal only has one parent, it appears her mother may have had alcoholism, she and the preacher do not have very much money, and her father doesn't seem to have a lot of time for her. I think it's pretty amazing she is such a positive outgoing young lady! Pick one of the topics mentioned, or another you may have noticed and comment on a connection or observation you have. After I post your first response, it will be a great time to read each others and tell your friends what you think. Happy posting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here is my connection...I just finished reading a book called Harvesting the Heart which made me think of Because of Winn-Dixie. In that book the main character's mother left she and her father out of the blue when she was five years old. This main character always seemed to be thinking of her mother just like India Opal did. When the character from my book grew up she was afraid she wouldn't be a good mom because she hadn't really had a mom around for long. She ended up leaving her son and husband when her baby was only three months old to find her mother. She did find her, and ended up staying with her for 3 months before coming back to her husband and son. I wonder if India Opal would want to find her mother when she grew up too. I think she has so many supportive people who love her in her life that she would be OK.
ReplyDeletemaybe her dad is upset about opals mom leving them and she must be said to. by bmx rider
ReplyDeletehere is my connection...I just red a puppy place book the dog snow ball is just like winn-dixe!! by:OMG ;p
ReplyDeletemaybe someday she will find her mom someday and she will be happy and so will her dad
ReplyDeleteMrs L I did the wrong questin :(
ReplyDeleteBY: SPEAR
BMX rider you did a goooooood job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) ;p
ReplyDeleteTHANKS OMG
ReplyDeleteOMG gooooooooooooooooooooood Joooooooooooooooooooooob I like the comment :p ;p
ReplyDeletefrom SPEAR
My cosen's mom and dad got deforst in 2007 :(. He gets to see his dad in the weekend :). and then he got a step dad :).
ReplyDeleteBy Spear
OMG: Great text to text connection, and SPEAR, nice job with a text to life connection. (Try not to use specific names on the blog though). BMX Rider, thank you for the observations!
ReplyDeleteSPEAR your cosen must miss his mom when hes with his dad bmx rider
ReplyDeleteMrs L I dxid not posted a name :(
ReplyDeleteSPEAR
I never sean my Grampa becuse he had canser in the blood.
ReplyDeleteI have seen my Granddad I wish I didn't to see him because He passed away :(
ReplyDeleteThank you kids for making some personal connections to the story.
ReplyDelete